An Essential Tool
You hook into a massive fish, the adrenaline is pumping and everything seems to run in slow motion. You immediately think about how best to quickly land the fish. Preparing in your head a plan of action can be difficult, where to put the unhooking mat, how to get the unhooking mat out of your bag, how to extend your landing net and where are your pliers! So many things to think about while still trying to fight the fish while keeping a good hook hold.
At Freestyle, this is the situation we play over and over again in our heads when designing our products. We need to make the situation as comfortable and simple for the angler to make sure the fish is treated correctly on the bank in the fastest possible way.
One product we developed purely for this situation is the Recon Plier. We set out to design a plier that is not only a robust and functional tool but also simple to access and use.
The Recon Plier comes complete with a coil carabiner cord and a pouch. This ensures your plier stays in tip-top quality all the time.
The plier pouch can be fixed in several ways.
- The Straps can be threaded through the opening of the fabric located on the underside of the sheath.
- The velcro strap on the backside allows it to be fixed on to webbing which is found on most of the Freestyle luggage
The Recon Plier features a number of essential functions.
1. The braid cutter is very sharp and can be used to cut any diameter of braid like butter. The cutter can also be used to cut fluorocarbon or monofilament with ease.
2. Two holes located near the plier’s nose are for bending hooks back into line if they bend out of shape while fighting large fish or after retrieving a snagged lure.
3. The crimping tool is essential for making you’re your crimps on homemade rigs as tight as possible without creating a weak link on the line.
4. The plier surface is PTFE coated which offers excellent strength and scratch-resistant properties.
5. There is also a split ring function on the end of the plier. This is cut at a very small angle which makes opening the smallest split rings simple. The overhang at the end of the plier is also ideal to securely grip hooks which make the unhooking process simple.
The recon plier has received fantastic feedback from anglers across Europe. We are proud to see the number of European lure anglers trusting the recon pliers